Originally built between 1840 and 1843, this Western Reserve style home was the residence of Dr. Hill, who practiced medicine in the small front room for many years.
In 1908, S. Irvin and Cynthia Work Thompson purchased this house and raised four children in it. Improvements were made to accommodate their growing family. Their daughter, Helen, was born in 1902 and was a 1922 alumna of Granger High School.
Following her career in Chicago Helen purchased her childhood home and returned to live out her retirement. In the summer of 1966, she donated her home and all of its contents to the township. She wished to provide a museum for the benefit of others, especially children. Although she donated her home, she reserved the right to continue to live in the house and did so until she passed away in 1989.
Helen's varied interests and hobbies are evident in the extensive collections housed in the museum. This includes her personal collection of over 200 antique dolls. There are examples of early coverlets and quilts, a mixture of antique furniture from pre-Civil War through the Victorian era, spinning wheels, kitchen utensils, glassware, and many other items.
To read more about Miss Thompson please visit her biography page.